Annual Counseling is feedback on performance relative to the standards for reappointment and promotion.
Annual Counseling Form - General Use
Annual Counseling Form - Junior Faculty
Senior Faculty Meetings Form
Your chair, division chief or their designate should schedule a meeting with you annually. If they do not, it is your responsibility to request the meeting.
At this meeting the chair should:
- be familiar with your history at the School.
- describe the reappointment/promotion process
- state the criteria for the next upcoming action (from the Medical School Faculty Handbook).
- complete and sign an annual counseling documentation form explaining what was discussed.
Topics the chair should discuss with you:
- Criteria and timeline for reappointment or promotion.
- Scholarship, teaching and clinical activities (if applicable).
- Proportionality of effort in scholarship, teaching and clinical activities (if applicable).
- Allocation of time (including any planned leaves).
- Academic/professional support (e.g., availability of mentors, opportunities for learning, resource availability).
- Financial issues.
- Professional development.
- Achievement of career goals.
- Personal issues (if applicable).