Applying for Leave Without Salary
- Discuss with your division chief or department chair.
- If necessary, consult the University Faculty Handbook for policies and information.
- At least one month before your proposed sabbatical is to start, fill out:
- the leave request form
- Attachment A (included in the leave request form) signed by your Research Process Manager
- the Faculty Leave Data Security Attestation Form signed by your DFA
- Submit all three to your Faculty Affairs Administrator for your department chair's signature.
- If your LWOS does not strictly follow University guidelines, discuss whether the department will request an exception to policy for you.
Appointments at Other Institutions
A faculty member on leave without salary may not take a regular faculty or administrative position at another institution of higher education. However, faculty on leave without salary may accept a visiting professor appointment at another educational institution.
Effect on an Appointment for a Term of Years
A leave without salary extends a term appointment held by a member of the Professoriate, irrespective of faculty line, by a period equal to the duration of the leave, unless there is advanced written agreement to the contrary. This extension is not automatic; it must be requested by the department and school. Check with your departmental Faculty Affairs Administrator for more details.
Effect on the Tenure Clock and Appointment Clock Deadlines
A leave without salary taken by an untenured Tenure Line faculty member also extends his or her seven year tenure clock. It does not extend the ten year appointment clock deadline.