MS Program in Human Genetics & Genetic Counseling
In 2008, Stanford accepted its first class into the MS in Human Genetics and Genetic Counseling degree and in 2011 received full accreditation from ABGC (now ACGC). Be a part of this exciting opportunity and join a world renowned Genetics department located at a top 10 medical school in one of the most beautiful and diverse areas of the country. Our program will utilize state of the art genomics resources that are already well developed at Stanford, and train you to work with patients in a wide range of settings and from a multicultural background.
Stanford's curriculum is set up on the quarter system, and students will take 6 academic quarters of work, and conduct clinical rotations full time through the summer between their first and second years. The course distribution (2014-2015 Curriculum) will allow students to take 1-3 elective courses in an area of their choice, such as Spanish language training, cancer biology, pediatrics and reproductive health issues, or biomedical ethics.
We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2015 admission. The application deadline was December 16, 2014.
Current Students and Alumni
Accomplishments of our recent graduates include:
- 100% on time graduation rate for all students in the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014
- 100% job placement by graduation date for all students in the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014
- 86% first time board pass rate for students in the classes of 2011, 2012, 2013
Genetic counseling as a profession
- NGSC Career Page
- NSGC Master Genetic Counselor Series
- Genetic Counseling: A Rapidly Growing STEM Career
- Explore Health Careers: Genetic Counselor
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: Genetic Counselors
- NIH/LifeWorks: Genetic Counselors
- NIH Interview with Barbara Biesecker
- Many Career Options for Genetic Counselors (USNews)
- Health Professions Network
- Hot Jobs 2008
- Hot Jobs 2009
- Kiplinger Newsletter
- Genetic Counseling: A Growing Field 2012 (SF Chronicle)
- Fastest Growing Jobs in America 2014 (Yahoo)