Frequently Asked Questions
How do I order an MD degree verification?
Stanford University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to act as its agent for purposes of degree verification. The student's name when enrolled, Social Security Number, and date of birth will be required for identification purposes and degree verification. See the National Student Clearinghouse DegreeVerify website regarding degree verification information, instructions, and fees. If additional information is needed after the NSC degree verification, contact the School of Medicine Registrar's Office.
How do I request a verification for a postdoctoral appointment, residency, fellowship, or physician assistant?
- Postdoctoral Appointment: Contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. See Verification Requests on the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs website for more information.
- Residency or Fellowship: Contact the department or program directly. See Training Verification on the Graduate Medical Education website for more information and contacts.
- Physician Assistant: Contact the Office of PA Education directly. See Contact Information on the Office of Physician Assistant Studies website.
How do I have state medical board (including the Federation of State Medical Boards) licensure forms completed?
Submit state medical licensure forms to the School of Medicine Registrar's Office by email to email@example.com or by mail. In some cases a copy of your diploma is required for the Registrar’s Office to certify with your licensure forms. You will need to provide a scan or photocopy of your diploma when submitting the licensure paperwork, if needed. Please check the instructions for your specific state licensure forms. The licensure forms will be completed within 1-2 weeks and a notification will be sent to you when they are completed.
For alumni using the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS), complete the following:
- Complete the FCVS application, including uploading a copy of your MD diploma (which Stanford will certify through FCVS).
For more information see the FSMB FCVS Credentials Verification Process. You will be notified when Stanford certifies your credentials.
For fellowship applications, how do I request that my Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) and transcript be uploaded to the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)?
The AAMC's Medical Institution Document Upload Service (MIDUS) provides medical schools with the ability to upload the Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) and medical school transcript directly to the ERAS Fellowship Document Office on behalf of an applicant. In order for Stanford to upload a document on your behalf using MIDUS, you must send an electronic request to the medical institution using EFDO On-line Services. For instructions see AAMC's Medical Institution Document Upload Service (MIDUS). The email contact information for the School of Medicine Registrar's Office is firstname.lastname@example.org or Celeste Nguyen, EdD, Registrar (email@example.com).
Documents will be uploaded within 1-2 weeks of the request, and you will be notified when it is complete.
How do I request a leave of absence?
How many units do I need to be enrolled in to have full-time status?
Stanford defines full-time status for MD students as the following:
Full time = 9 or more units
Half time = 6-8 units
Less than half time = 5 or fewer units
For more information see Certifications and Verifications.
How do I order a paper transcript or electronic transcript?
- Current students can request transcripts through Axess. For detailed instructions see How Do I Request a Transcript.
- Alumni enrolled at Stanford within the last 5 years can order transcripts through Axess. For detailed instructions see Transcripts for Alumni.
- Alumni enrolled at Stanford longer than 5 years ago can submit the Transcript Request eForm. For detailed instructions see Transcripts for Alumni.
How do I apply for a USMLE Step 1 or Step 2 exam?
- First, log into the NBME website to Apply for USMLE Step 1 or Step 2 CK and CS
- Complete the online application
- At the end of the online application, there are instructions for completing a “Certification of Identification and Authorization Form." Print and complete the form. Attach a photo.
- Submit the completed form to the Registrar in MSOB 1st Floor, X100, 1265 Welch Road Stanford, CA 94305-5404. Forms can be submitted at the front reception desk or Registrar's cube.
- The form will be completed by the School of Medicine Registrar’s Office, and takes up to one week to process. You will be notified when it is mailed to the NBME
- Applications for Step 1 exams, and in some cases Step 2 exams, require an online enrollment verification on the NBME website by the Registrar. The online verifications are completed at least once a week on Wednesdays.
I have applied for a USMLE Step 1 or Step 2 exam. When will my enrollment be verified to the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME)?
Enrollment is verified to the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) weekly on Wednesdays when a student applies for USMLE Step 1 or Step 2 exam.
How do I request a letter of exemption for Jury Duty?
A letter of exemption describing current registration and time requirements as a medical student can be provided by the School of Medicine Registrar's office upon request. To request a letter, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the Juror ID, Reporting Location, and Group Number. The letter will be emailed to you. Students are also encouraged to include an Enrollment Verification from Axess with the letter of exemption. Students are responsible for sending the Letter of Exemption, Enrollment Verification, and Summons together to the courthouse.