Space & Assets
As the needs of your department or group grow or change, you will need to add to or repurpose your current building space. Learn how to make a request for additional space, short-term storage, and criteria used to evaluate research, office, and long term storage space requests.
Space Request Process
- Fill out the Space Request Form to request space, including long-term storage.
- The Department's Director of Finance & Administration should submit the form.
- The request will be reviewed by us, and you will be notified with a response.
Criteria for Space Requests
Evaluating Research and Office Space
- Does the department have a written & implemented space assignment plan?
- Is the Department's Indirect Cost Recovery/NASF calculation above the 75% SoM average for the previous 3 years?
- Will the Indirect Cost Recovery/NASF calculation remain above the average after the new space is included?
- Requests that serve the needs of more than one department will be given increased priority.
- Has the department investigated how the need could be accommodated under its current space inventory?
Evaluating Long Term Storage Space
Storage space is assigned for short-term use and is reviewed annually at the minimum.
What can be stored:
- Site clearance material prior to a renovation project
- Documents required for Sponsored Projects or clinical studies
- Documents required for legal actions
What cannot be stored:
- Chemicals, flammables, radioactives or hazardous waste
- Equipment that does not work
- Empty cardboard boxes, Styrofoam, packing materials, etc