A PA student must meet all of the following conditions and criteria in order to scrub and/or participate directly in a surgical procedure.
Each Stanford PA student must:
- Complete the scrub training
- Initial training: Full course with knowledge test and scrubbing/gowning checklist
- Red sticker for pre-clerkship students. Initial training valid for one year from training date.
- Green sticker for clerkship students. Initial training valid for two years from training date.
- Clerkship students:
- If pre-clerkship trained (red sticker) students will be required to complete an online course with medical knowledge test and scrub/gowning verification to convert to clerkship (green) certification
- Students scrub training certification will require that this sticker be visible on their name badge.
- The lists of names and documentation to attest meeting requirements to scrub received from each surgical division/department are kept with the OR education/administration office
- Students may scrub and participate in surgical cases only if he/she has an OR-approved sticker affixed on the name badge as a proof that the student underwent appropriate training in aseptic techniques.
- If a student’s name is not present on the list submitted by his/her respective surgical division/department, he/she will be denied presence in the OR and be dismissed until credentials are verified.